What is WISE+
Work Improvement in Small Enterprises (WISE+) is a training programme that empowers small and medium enterprises to take practical and low-cost action to improve working conditions. The training emphasizes the link between good working conditions and productivity and the importance of employer-employee cooperation to achieving positive change.
Since its inception in the 1980s, WISE+ has been successfully introduced in over 20 countries in Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and, most recently, in Africa. A range of publications to support WISE+ training have been developed, in multiple languages, to adapting the methodology for specific countries, audiences and sectors. These adaptations include the highly successful WIND programme, for the agricultural sector.
How is WISE+ different from other training packages
WISE+ is not a traditional skills training. The approach is highly participatory and promotes the adoption of local solutions for local problems. At the end of the training, participants build personalized action plans through the use of the WISE (and now WISE+) Checklists. They are then supported to carry out and maintain planned improvements by volunteers/trainers and through the creation of a local WISE networks.
What does WISE+ training cover?
In 2009, a new and extended version of the WISE training package was developed under the acronym null . This package consists of two binders that bring together the most recent edition of the original WISE Action and Training Manuals and six new (WISE-R) modules:
- WISE module 1, Materials storage and handling
- WISE module 2, Workstation design
- WISE module 3, Machine safety
- WISE module 4, Control of hazardous substances
- WISE module 5, Lighting
- WISE module 6, Work-related welfare facilities
- WISE module 7, Work premises
- WISE module 8, Work organization
- WISE-R module 1, Understanding productivity
- WISE-R module 2, Managing and Motivating Employees
- WISE-R module 3, Designing and managing working Time
- WISE-R module 4, Managing Wages and Benefits
- WISE-R module 5, Family-friendly measures
- WISE-R module 6, Creating a respectful workplace
The null is now available in English, French, Spanish, Kiswahili and Portuguese. A WISE Implementation Guide. A series of training presentations to use in training have also been developed and are available upon request.
Conditions of Work and Employment Programme (WISE)
International Labour Office - 4, route des Morillons - CH-1211 Geneva 22, Switzerland
Tel: +41 22 799 6754
Fax: +41 22 799 8451