Sweden - ILO Cooperation
Sweden is one of the founding member States of the ILO, and is a key partner in promoting the Decent Work Agenda. Sweden has ratified four Protocols and 94 Conventions, which include the eight Fundamental Conventions, the four prioritized Governance Conventions, and 82 Technical Conventions.
Sweden’s strategic contributions to the ILO
Sweden funds the ILO through:
- Assessed contributions to the ILO's Regular Budget paid by all ILO member States by virtue of their membership. From 2017 to 2021, Sweden contributed US$ 18.3 million.
- Voluntary core funding contributions provided by eight ILO donors as a pool of un-earmarked, flexible resources allocated by the ILO to strategic areas and emerging priorities. From 2017 to 2021, Sweden contributed US$ 10.6 million.
- Voluntary, non-core funding contributions earmarked for priority themes and projects. From 2016 to 2019, Sweden contributed US$ 67.0 million.
The Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida) uses the Public Private Development Partnership (PPDP) modality to mobilise the private sector, in Sweden and elsewhere, to pro-actively engage in and contribute to the sustainable development of low-income countries. The ILO is already implementing multiple projects thanks to this innovative approach, including in the Great Rift Valley, Kenya and in Cambodia.
Sida-ILO Partnership Programme 2018-2021
Sweden's support to ILO actions
Sweden’s development cooperation prioritiesDrawing on its broader feminist foreign policy, the stated aim of Sweden’s development cooperation is to create the preconditions for people living under poverty and oppression to better their own lives. For this purpose, Swedish development aid is primarily focused on eight areas, which are:
- Human rights, democracy, and the rule of law.
- Gender equality.
- The environment and climate change, and the sustainable use of natural resources.
- Peace and security.
- Inclusive economic development.
- Migration and development.
- Health equity.
- Education and research.