Kuwait - ILO Cooperation
Kuwait is an ILO member State that has ratified 19 ILO Conventions, including seven Fundamental Conventions, two of the Governance Conventions, and ten Technical Conventions. Kuwait has also committed to promoting decent work and social justice in the Arab States and in particular to supporting ILO programmes in the Occupied Palestinian Territory.
Kuwait's strategic contributions to the ILO
Kuwait funds the ILO through:
- Assessed contributions to the ILO's Regular Budget paid by all ILO member States by virtue of their membership. From 2017 to 2021 Kuwait contributed US$ 4.4 Million.
- Voluntary, non-core funding contributions provided as earmarked funds for priority programmes and projects in addition to assessed contributions. From 2017 to 2021, Kuwait contributed US$ 2 Million.
Kuwait’s support to ILO interventionsSince 2009, the Government of Kuwait has supported the efforts of the ILO to promote the Decent Work Agenda in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (OPT) and has contributed a total of US$ 5 Million to address decent work deficits in the OPT.
Kuwait's development cooperation priorities in the OPT
Kuwait’s voluntary contributions to the ILO aim to support decent work in the OPT, with a particular focus on three main priorities:
- enhancing employment and livelihood opportunities for Palestinian women and men;
- strengthening labour governance, collective bargaining and improved social dialogue mechanisms; and
- supporting the implementation and development of the Palestinian social security system and the extension of social protection to all.