Project backgroundSkill recognition is an opportunity of official acknowledgment of the competencies of workers. Countries have limited mechanisms to recognize skills that are acquired through formal training programmes which becomes even more restricted while addressing skills acquired through non-formal training and work experience.
The situation is further complicated in the case of recognizing the skills of migrant workers. Without a system of mutual recognition of skills and qualifications, the training programmes and skills certification from the country of origin are generally not recognized in the labour receiving countries.
By failing to recognize these skills, not only are the migrants limited from formal acknowledgement of their set of skills, knowledge and personal attributes that would make them to enhance their employability but the countries of origin cannot take full advantage of the their new knowledge and skills either.
To address this, the project will work towards strengthening institutions and mechanisms linking skills and migration.
Project objectiveThe project has three objectives:
- To integrate Nepali returnee migrant workers into the domestic labour market.
- To ensure benefits of synergizing market demand and skills levels accrue to migrant workers.
- Ensure learning of stakeholders is enhanced
- Ministry of Education (MOE)/Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training (CTEVT)/National Skills Testing Board
- Ministry of Labour and Employment (MOLE)/Department of Labour (DOL)/ Employment Services Centres (ESCs)
- Federation of Contractors’ Association of Nepal (FCAN)
- Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MoSDE)/National Skill Development Agency (NSDA)
- Ministry of External Affairs
- Ministry of Labour and Employment (MOLE)
- Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FICCI)
For further information please contact:Ms Seeta Sharma
ILO DWT for South Asia and Country Office for India
India Habitat Centre
Core 4B, 3rd Floor
Ph: 91- 11-47509200
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org