Watch the full high-level debate
The high-level virtual debate will stimulate dialogue on the importance of protecting children from child labour in COVID-19 response and recovery plans, while looking forward to the International Year on the Elimination of Child Labour, 2021, and the SDG Target 8.7 to end child labour in all its forms by 2025.
Discussants will bring the views of UN agencies, governments, employers and workers organizations, civil society and youth on:
- the impact of COVID-19 on child labour and measures that can be taken to mitigate the impact;
- how the current health, economic and social crisis might affect progress towards SDG Target 8.7;
- the opportunity for all UN member States and partners to join forces during the International Year on the Elimination of Child Labour in 2021.
- Mr. Guy Ryder, Director-General, ILO
- Ms Henrietta Fore, Executive Director, UNICEF
- Mr. Qu Dongyu, Director-General, FAO (video statement)
- Mr. Kailash Satyarthi, Nobel Peace Laureate
- Ms Anousheh Karvar, Chair, Alliance 8.7
- Ms Geannina Dinarte, Minister of Labour, Costa Rica
- Mr. Roberto Suarez-Santos, Secretary-General, International Organisation of Employers (IOE)
- Ms Sharan Burrow, Secretary-General, International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC)
- Julius Abitegaka, youth advocate formerly in child labour, Uganda
Do you want to participate?You are kindly invited to send your questions to the panellists ahead of the debate to email@example.com by 10 June.
You will also be able to pose questions during the debate live on ILO TV on YouTube. As time will permit only a very limited number of questions, we will gather other main questions during the debate and answer them on the campaign page in the week following the event.