The Special Session on the Promotion and Application of the MNE Declaration during the African Regional Meeting has the following objectives:
- present the report about the state of implementation of the MNE Declaration in Africa with the participation of representatives of the tripartite constituents;
- provide a dialogue platform among the tripartite constituents with a view to exchange experiences and identify challenges and opportunities at the national and regional level;
- consider the formulation of recommendations and concrete initiatives regarding, for example, future promotional activities or technical assistance required from the Office.
BackgroundThe Governing Body of the International Labour Office (ILO) adopted in March 2014 the Decision on the “Implementation strategy for the follow-up mechanism of and promotional activities on the Tripartite Declaration of Principles concerning Multinational Enterprises and Social Policy (MNE Declaration)”, and “instructed the Office to commence the approved implementation strategy in 2014”. The strategy includes, among others:
- an information-gathering system to collect information directly from the tripartite constituents from a region through a questionnaire prepared by the Office and distributed prior to each Regional Meeting;
- the preparation, by the Office, of a regional report about the state of implementation of the MNE Declaration, considering, among others, the information obtained through the questionnaire;
- the inclusion of a session in each Regional Meeting to present the regional report and discuss the implementation of the MNE Declaration in the region.