|Abandonment ID:|| 00622|
|Ship name:||Ocean Force[disputed]|
|7-digit IMO no.:||8215613|
|Port of abandonment:||Philadelphia, USA|
|Abandonment date:||1 January 2022|
|Notification date:||6 February 2022|
|Reporting Member Govt. or Org.:||ITF|
|No. of Seafarers:||7|
|Circumstances:||The vessel has been under arrest by Charterer since, Feb 2021. Wages and repatriation has been slow during the year.|
January 27th,2022 the ITF was called by Master asking for help, the vessel had NO heat for 4 days and wages have not been paid since November 2021.
January 28th, Captain informed that the vessel was out of water, crew had not showered in 4 days. No drinking water for a day prior to arrival at dock. Other mechanical issues discussed with the USCG
|Actions taken:||29 January 2022: Vessel arrested by the Port State|
1. Crew have agreed to arrest the vessel for the owed wages, Attorney retained and signed on January 29th, 2022. Coordination with ITF affiliate in Ukraine (MTWTU) for communications with the crew.
2. January 27th, 2022 USCG was notified concerning heat.
3. January 28th USCG - Captain of the Port order has been issued until boiler/heat has been restored and hull repairs are satisfactory.
4. January 28th, boiler parts are trying to be obtained. Provisions were delivered, 40,000 tons of water was delivered to vessel.
5. January 28th ITF/SIU purchased blankets and hand warmers for crew.
6. January 29th the Seafarers Center working to get heaters and power converters on board.
7. January 31st Divers under vessel inspecting the hull.
|Payment status:||6 February 2022: Payment Pending|
|Comments and Observations:||ITF (6 February 2022)|
The ITF have been following this case since March 2021. Wages, repatriation and provision orders have been slow, but have not fallen to abandonment status until now.
Vessel has been at deep anchorage most of the time, difficult to visit crew. Once the initial 6 crew signed off, there was no further communication from the crew, until January 26th when new Captain called.
Safe manning was reduced to 7 in August 2021.
Once repatriated, the crew are required to report to office in Odessa to be paid final wage in cash in person.
The ITF remain in contact with Belize flag and the attorney, periodically getting up dates on this case.
ITF (22 July 2022)
Vessel was sold in March 2022 and registered under the St. Kitts & Nevis flag. It is currently on its way to Turkey for an overhaul.
The 7 crew on board were able to stay in the US, as they met the guidelines for special parole at the time. The vessel has been sold and the crew received their wages.