- A national seminar on “World Day Against Child Labour: Context Bangladesh” on 11 June.
The objective is to influence the key policy makers to expedite the process of finalising the national child labour elimination policy, ratification of the ILO Convention no. 138, determining the list of hazardous work and improving the overall child labour situation in Bangladesh, with special focus on girls.
- A day-long national adolescent convention will be organised by the Disadvantaged Adolescents Working NGOs (DAWN) Forum on 12 June.
The main objectives of the convention are: raising awareness among the policy makers, civil society leaders and other key stakeholders, including media regarding the situation of working adolescents, especially girls and influencing policy makers to formulate appropriate interventions to address the needs of the adolescents.
- Bangladesh Institute of Labour Studies (BILS) will organise a rally from Central Shahid Minar to National Press Club on 12 June. Approximately 500 working children will participate in the rally. The objective is to raise awareness on child labour.
- The Domestic Workers’ Rights Network will organise a seminar on “Rights of Domestic Workers: Bangladesh Perspectives” on 12 June at the Press Club Auditorium. The objective of the seminar is to influence the relevant policy makers to formulate appropriate laws to protect the rights of the domestic workers.
- The Bangladesh Truck Workers Federation will organise a workshop on “The Role of Trade Union to Eliminate Child Labour in Informal Economy: Special Focus on Hawkers, Transport and Tailoring” on 20 June. The objectives are to identify the problems of children in the selected sectors and setting up recommendations to reduce child labour in those sectors.
- A week-long media campaign has been developed in collaboration with ATN Bangla, the first private TV channel in Bangladesh. ATN will produce and telecast a video documentary, a promotional on 12 June, a talk show, a series of feature stories and news coverage
For further information
ILO Office in Bangladesh
House No.12, Road No.12
Dhanmondi Residential Area, Dhaka 1209
Tel: +880 2 911 2836
Fax: +880 2 811 4211