BackgroundThe chemical and pharmaceutical industry in Malaysia is an important economic sector. The share in national output amounts to 20 per cent and the industry employs 5.5 per cent of the workforce. The share of women employed in the chemical industry has increased slowly from 24.1 to 26.7 per cent between 2010 to 2015. The share of women employed in the pharmaceutical industry is higher than in chemicals, above 40 per cent, albeit with a declining trend.
The chemical and pharmaceutical industry has a relatively high environmental footprint, through its use of natural resources, the emission of greenhouse gases and the generation of contaminants, in particular through waste-water.
Therefore, in order to build the capacity of trade unions in the industries, ILO has launched a project, “Making Just Transition Work through stronger Workers’ Organizations in Chemical and Pharmaceutical Industries” in Malaysia (and Viet Nam)” and implemented it with the partnership of the Malaysian Trades Union Congress (MTUC) during the period of February 2022 – May 2023. The project aims at:
- Enhancing the knowledge of trade unionists in the industries concerning “ILO Guidelines for a just transition towards environmentally sustainable economies and societies for all”
- Promoting social dialogue at the enterprise level to adopt the Guidelines and pilot it in the selected companies
- Establishing a cooperation mechanism at community level involving representatives from trade unions, employers, government officials, academia, community and environmental action groups
- To evaluate the project results (including activities, products, pilot exercise and communication tools, etc.)
- To present the lessons learned and get feedback from the partner unions (MTUC and affiliates) about their experiences
- To discuss strategies for future courses of action and cooperation between MTUC and ILO to continue union engagement and campaign to promote ILO Just Transition Guidelines and to ensure safe, secure and sustainable environment, society and workplaces
ModalityDate: 10-11 May 2023
Venue: Mardhiyyah Hotel & Suites (Meeting Room: Rebana 2, level 1), Lot P5.5 Persiaran Perbandaran Seksyen 14, 40000 Shah Alam Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Tel: 603-5511 8811
Fax: 603-5511 8899
ZOOM: Registration for 10 May 2023 session, please click here.
Working language: English/Malay
Interpretation/translation: Simultaneous interpretation will be made available for participants during the session.
For further information please contact:Pong-Sul Ahn
Regional Specialist in Workers' Education
ILO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific
ILO Technical Specialist on Green Jobs, Climate Action and Resilience through Just Transition - Asia Pacific Region