AT A GLANCEPartners
Planning and Development Department Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Provincial Labour Department, Employers’ Federation of Pakistan, Pakistan Workers’ Federation, Provincial Health Department, Provincial Education Department, Technical Education and Vocational-Skills Training Authority, Provincial Department of Social Welfare, Special Education, Usher-Zakat, and Women Development
Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, employers’ and workers’ organizations, vulnerable segments of the society including children, women, the disabled, the elderly, and unemployed youth
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province in Pakistan
It is widely recognized that social protection benefits or social transfers are among the most powerful and direct tools for combating poverty and nequality. However, the right to social security remains unfulfilled in the majority of countries across the world, including Pakistan.
Pakistan has ratified three ILO Conventions on social security but implementation has not been very effective, partly because social protection was given a low priority in development plans, including those for the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province. However, effective implementation of these Conventions is a precondition for developing and maintaining a social protection system responsive to the needs of all segments of society. Therefore, the ILO has committed to supporting Pakistan in implementing these Conventions during the period of the second Decent Work Country Programme (2013-17).
This project aims to assist the provincial government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa to establish a comprehensive, province -wide, social protection policy based on the ILO’s two-dimensional strategy for the extension of social protection, as well as a national social protection floor providing a set of basic social guarantees (including basic medical care) that would provide income security to all those in need.
The specific objectives of the project include:
- Conduct social protection mapping study in the province.
- Pilot a district model.
- Develop management information systems and monitoring and evaluation systems for the social protection schemes, project and programme.
- Develop a broader approach to advocacy and awareness, including a video documentary.
- Conduct a social protection stock-taking study in the province to reveal existing service gaps and form a base for subsequent policy dialogues.
- Develop a draft social protection policy, based on wide consultations.
- Design a social protection model to be piloted in two selected districts.
- Conduct capacity-building training with all key stakeholders to enhance their understanding of the social protection floor concept.
- Develop management information systems, as well as monitoring and evaluation systems for social protection programmes, projects and schemes in the province.
- Establish coordination forums bringing together development partners and public sector departments involved in the delivery of social protection services, to create for additional synergies and better coordination.
- Develop information management, monitoring and evaluation systems to allow for improved, coherent, and meaningful information sharing and monitoring of social protection activities.
- Prepare and develop a video documentary and flyer on project activities for advocacy and awareness purposes.
- Complete the institutional set-up. Establishing a provincial steering committee for the project, and employing staff at provincial as well as district level for piloting.
- Mapping, profiling, documenting and analyzing. Identifying specific gaps in existing social protection mechanisms.
- Identify viable alternatives, policy options and concrete proposals to close protection gaps.
- Initiate a policy dialogue at provincial level, elaborating a specific set of measures constituting a provincial social protection floor that builds on existing social protection activities.
- Pilot a social protection floor in selected district(s) of the province, with the involvement of all key stakeholders.
- Develop a policy framework for the extension of social protection to all.
- Develop the capacity of key stakeholders to implement a social protection policy framework.
- Allocate government resources for the implementation of social protection floor in other districts.