- Economic growth remained buoyant in 2012and unemployment levels were stable at close to 7.5 per cent.
- Labour force participation remained high, reflecting the vulnerability of workers who cannot afford to leave the labour market.
- The proportion of workers in vulnerable employment has decreased, but remains extremely high – 77 per cent in 2012.
- Labour productivity remains very low, particularly in the informal economy.
- Given the large share of workers in subsistence agriculture in this region, structural change has been an important source of growth; but there has been a slowdown of sectoral re-allocation during the crisis. (See 2nd chart below)
Mouse over the charts to see the values