Facts & Figures
- The Arab region has the world’s lowest rate of female labour force participation - 18.4 percent compared to the global average of 48 per cent. By contrast, male labour force participation rates, at 77 per cent, are above the global average of 75 percent.
- Female unemployment in the Arab states is at 15.6 percent – three times higher than the world average.
- Women in managerial positions are low in the region, with only 11 percent of women holding managerial positions as compared to the world average of 27.1 percent.
- Unpaid childcare work result in women spending almost five times more hours than men on unpaid care work.
Decent Work Country Programme
05 December 2019
07 October 2019
International Labour Standards
- Equal Remuneration Convention, 1951 (No. 100)
- Discrimination (Employment and Occupation) Convention, 1958 (No. 111)
- Workers with Family Responsibilities Convention, 1981 (No.156)
- Maternity Protection Convention, 2000 (No. 183)
- Violence and Harassment Convention, 2019
Publications & Reports
This report is the culmination of the extensive and often ground-breaking work undertaken in the ILO’s Women at Work Centenary Initiative. It is closely aligned with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.