Workers' Voices

COVID Recovery: How to extend social protection to all?

This session of the Workers'Voices focuses on obstacles and strategies to access to universal social protection to all.

Despite significant progress in the extension of social protection in many parts of the world, as the COVID-19 pandemic has starkly revealed, the human right to social security is not yet a reality for the majority of the world’s population. Only 45 per cent of the global population are effectively covered by at least one social protection benefit, while the remaining 55 per cent – as many as 4 billion people – are left unprotected.

What are the obstacles to realize universal social protection and what could be role of the ILO, States and Social partners to extend social protection to all? Watch the  discussions with:
  • Bheki Ntshalintshali, General Secretary of the Congress of South African Trade Unions (South Africa)
  • Claudia Menne, Confederation of German Trade Unions (Germany)

Follow the Workers' Voices